What if I can't afford an attorney?

Luckily, our system requires that you have legal representation if and when you are charge with a crime. In Illinois we have a county Public Defender System. Each county has a Public Defender appointed by the Chief Judge. In larger counties like Dupage, Cook, Will, Kane, the offices are quite large, with many assistant public defenders to represent you. All public defenders are attorneys — they all went to law school and had to pass the bar. If you think you need an attorney appointed to you, just ask the judge at your next court appearance. They may have you fill out an affidavit of assets to prove you are indigent. If you are, the court will appoint a lawyer to represent you.